Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Culture shock - what's rude in Korea 1

I'm native Korean and have lived in the U.S. and Canada for fourteen years. I now work as a Korean English translator.

There have been a few serious incidents where I was offended and maybe a few more where I offended others. In hindsight, I don't think most of them were intentionally meant to be offensive. We simply didn't understand well enough about each other. On the next few posts, I'd like to list a few things that can be considered rude in Korea while they are assumed harmless or even friendly in North America. Thinking a bit more about this issue than my fellow Koreans did some positive impact on me as a Korean translator.

Korea is, by North American standard, one of the most conservative countries you can find in terms of social values. She has a history of five thousand years, and along the way we learned and developed our own unique way to interact with people.

1 comment:

  1. you post help full me nice article you write great stuff keep it up

    http://asdanswer.weebly.com

    asdanswer

    https://www.facebook.com/englishtospanishtranslation

    English To Spanish Translation

    ReplyDelete