Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Koguma - Korean Yam


Or I should call it sweet potato. It’s certainly different from yam. It’s one of the most popular vegetables in Korea. When I was young, about twenty years ago, I would often run into people in the street selling sweet potato freshly baked out of the cooker they stand next to. The cooker made of a steel drum is about the size of a small refrigerator. It’s hooked on to a cart for mobility, and looked quite primitive in today’s standard, but it served its purpose. Now, sweet potato sold in this way is literally ‘baked.’ I don’t know what they used to bake with whether wood or coal, but I know koguma out of that cooker was burning hot. Of course, it should be obvious now that baked koguma in the street is only found during the winter. It’s very cheap as often is the case for street vendors, but it was very popular, so much so that it has been a part of our culture.

I sometimes translate Korean to English. Or click if you need professional help on Korean translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment