Monday, 8 August 2011

Christian Translation

I was born and raised Christian all my life. Obviously, I have read quite a few books and listened to a number of sermons both in English and Korean over the years. My involvement in Christian translation was, however, very recent. I started interpreting sermons by Korean pastors to English two years ago. Of course, I was a little nervous at first but gradually got the hang of it, and now I’m actually looking forward to it. Like everything else, practice makes perfect. More experience amount to better and relaxed interpretation. Simple.

Last December, I had a brand new opportunity. I was asked to do a movie translation. It was a Christian movie called Furious Love. It was actually more than a translation. Not only did I have to translate every dialogue, I had to put the subtitles on myself, which I’ve never done before. The movie had been already released as DVD, but it was so well received the company decided to get on another project and make an international version of the film. Eleven different subtitles were to be added and I was asked to do Korean subtitles, or Korean localization as we translators call it. It took many hours to get it done as I had to learn everything from scratch, but it surely was a lot fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment